Nikolay and Michael discuss Heap-Only Tuple (HOT) updates — what they are, the benefits, and things you can do to optimize for them.
Here are links to a few things we mentioned:
- Heap-only tuple updates (docs)
- README file (source code)
- Heap Only Tuple chapter (Internals of PostgreSQL by Hironobu SUZUKI)
- How partial, covering, and multicolumn indexes may slow down UPDATEs (blog post by Nikolay)
- Why Uber switched from Postgres to MySQL (blog post)
- Fighting write amplification with HOT updates (Adyen blog post)
- HOT Updates vs Bottom-Up Index Deletion (video by Lukas Fittl from pganalyze)
- Reduced Bloat with Bottom-Up Deletion (blog post by Hamid Akthar from Percona)
- What is fillfactor and how does it affect performance? (blog post by Kaarel Moppel from Cybertec)
What did you like or not like? What should we discuss next time? Let us know by tweeting us on @samokhvalov / @michristofides / @PostgresFM, or by commenting on our Google doc.
If you would like to share this episode, here's a good link (and thank you!)
Postgres FM is brought to you by:
With special thanks to:
- Jessie Draws for the amazing artwork